A sleek, polished blazer. A bold, bright pattern. The most eccentric socks you’ve ever seen. Our clothing and accessories can speak worlds about our style and personality, and the rings you wear are no exception.
Whether you adorn all ten digits or just one, which fingers you accessorize can make all the difference in what your rings say to the world.
Perhaps you want to share your love, attract a bit of luck, or add some balance to your accessories. Whatever purpose your rings serve, you’ll first need to know where these meanings come from and what rings mean on each particular finger.
#1 Your Thumb
Our thumbs can be pretty important, from allowing you to grab your morning iced coffee one-handed to giving quick thumbs-up to show your approval. But what does it mean to wear a ring on this finger?
Historically speaking, a thumb ring can hold a couple of different meanings:
- Power and influence – With a bold placement and often a bulkier shape, many societies viewed thumb rings as a sign of a person’s social status and prestige.
- Wealth – Since more materials were required to make the ring, thumb rings could also be used to demonstrate a person’s wealth.
For modern ring-wearers, whether you choose a heart shaped diamond or a tasteful marquise shaped diamond, the unique placement of a thumb ring offers an excellent choice for those wishing to make a bold statement.
#2 Your Pointer Finger
Whether you’re selecting the perfect pastry at your local café or giving directions to a friend, we often use our pointer fingers for exactly what it sounds like—pointing. But a ring on this finger can point to certain symbolism, too.
Here are a few of the traditional meanings for a ring on your pointer finger:
- Family ties – In the past, people often wore their family crest or signet on their pointer finger.
- Marriage – In some cultures, people wear a gold wedding band on their pointer finger, rather than their fourth finger, to signify marriage.
- School spirit – Your pointer finger remains a popular place to wear class rings, fraternity and sorority rings, or other rings that display your accomplishments.
A ring on your pointer finger offers a fantastic way to make a nod to your alma mater. Because of your pointer finger’s visibility, it’s also a perfect place to show off any of your favorite gems or fashionable rings.
#3 Your Middle Finger
Given its central position on your hand, your ring finger can be a superb place to accessorize. Like your other fingers, a ring on your middle finger also has a few handed-down meanings.
- Balance – Because your middle finger rests in the center of your hand, some people believe that wearing a ring on your middle finger symbolizes balance.
- Responsibility – Some say that the middle finger ring placement is a symbol of responsibility due to its central placement and because it’s (usually) your longest finger.
Compared to other fingers, wearing a ring on your middle finger seems to have less historical significance. Still, that makes it an ideal place to express your individual style—or even invent your own ring symbolism.
#4 Your Ring Finger
In many western cultures, a ring on the fourth finger of your left hand—aka, your “ring finger”—signifies that you’re engaged or married. Of course, not every country or culture follows suit. For example, citizens from India, Colombia, and Brazil traditionally wear their engagement rings on their right hand. But whether your culture places an engagement ring and wedding ring on the right ring finger or the left ring finger, it’s still a symbol of your marriage and love.
Even if you’re not married, your ring finger can be an opportune location to symbolize a relationship, with symbolism such as:
- Romantic commitment
While it’s unclear where this symbolism began, we know it has been around for a while. Ancient Romans believed that the vein in your ring finger was connected directly to the heart. Because of this, they thought that wearing your wedding ring on your ring finger irrevocably linked a couple together forever.
#5 Your Pinky Finger
Your smallest finger might seem insignificant, but wearing a ring on your pinky finger holds meaning, too (we pinky swear). Among the meanings ascribed to a pinky ring, a few of the most common connotations include:
- Nobility – In British culture, pinky rings became popularized by the children of Queen Victoria, who wore both their wedding bands and signet rings on the smallest finger.
- Professional status – Some professionals, such as those in the fields of engineering, also wear rings on their little finger to demonstrate aptitude in their line of work.
- Creativity – Since pinky rings are a little less conventional, wearing one can subtly showcase your creative spirit.
Whether you want to pay homage to the royals or add some creative flair, a pinky ring can be an opportune choice to show off some subtle style.
Find the Perfect Ring for Every Finger with 12FIFTEEN Diamonds
So whether it’s a class ring or a promise ring, every finger holds a meaning. Perhaps you prefer to wear a ring as a traditional symbol, or prefer to invent your own meaning. Or perhaps you’re looking for unique mens wedding bands to add a new symbol. However you adorn your fingers, one thing’s for certain: You’ll need a ring (or several) that stands for everything you do.
At 12FIFTEEN, we believe diamonds should be good for the earth, its workers, and you. Every one of our lab grown diamonds shows off the same dazzling properties as a mined diamond, and at an even better value.
The Australian Museum. The Jeweller in Ancient Egypt. https://australian.museum/learn/cultures/international-collection/ancient-egyptian/the-jeweller-in-ancient-egypt/
The Coolist. The Hidden Symbolism of Rings and Fingers. https://www.thecoolist.com/ring-finger-meaning/
LoveToKnow. What Is the Meaning of Each Finger for Rings? https://jewelry.lovetoknow.com/What_Is_the_Meaning_of_Each_Finger_for_Rings
Hitched. Wedding ring finger: Which hand do your wedding and engagement rings go on? https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-planning/organising-and-planning/wedding-ring-finger/
Town & Country Magazine. The History of the Pinky Ring. https://www.townandcountrymag.com/style/mens-fashion/a37937872/pinky-rings-meaning/