Does your lab grown diamond need a spa day? Then you’ve come to the right place! You might feel reticent to give your diamond a good cleaning because you aren’t sure exactly how to clean it. The good news is cleaning your lab grown diamond is no different than cleaning a mined diamond.
With these tips, your beloved diamond will be sparkling like new in no time!
Natural Wear and Tear on Lab Grown Diamonds
First of all, what potential things can cause your diamond to lose its sparkle? Knowing the risk for damage will help you take the steps necessary to prevent it from happening. It also depends on what type of jewelry items contain the diamond and how often you wear them.
Here are some of the most common contributors to dulled sparkle:
- Everyday wear and tear: The simple act of wearing your jewelry daily will lead to buildup and grime. Also, it’ll come into contact with other surfaces which can cause scratching and scuffing.
- Lotions and dirt buildup: Our natural body oils cause buildup. The addition of fragrances and lotions compounds the buildup into grime that needs routine cleaning.
- Exercising and outdoor activities: Wherever your active life takes you—the gym, hiking, swimming, spin class—sweat is sure to accompany it. Sweat leads to buildup and can also loosen your ring and risk it falling off.
- Unsafe storage: Storing lab grown diamonds in a jewelry box loosely with other items risks scratches and scuffs.
- Chores and Cleaning: Household cleaners can dull the sparkle of your diamond and even cause permanent damage.
- One thing’s clear: wearing your diamonds daily requires routine cleaning and maintenance.
How Do You Clean Lab Grown Diamonds?
The best way to routinely clean your lab grown diamond is with a little soap and warm water. Surprised? The reality is this is a fail-proof cleaning method that makes keeping your diamond sparkling a walk in the park! Since you are dealing with something highly valuable, you’ll need to know the safest ways to handle and care for your diamond.
For best results, here’s what you should do:
Clean with Soap and Water
The easiest way to clean a lab grown diamond is by using the items you already have at home! All you’ll need to get started are:
- A soft-bristled brush
- Fragrance-free soap or jewelry cleaning solution
- 2 clean, dry towels
- 2-4 cups of lukewarm water in a bowl
Steps for Cleaning Your Lab Grown Diamond
- First, lay a clean, dry towel down on the counter or cleaning area
- Soak the loose lab grown diamonds or jewelry items in the bowl of lukewarm water and soap (or jewelry solution) for around five minutes
- Then, use a soft-bristled brush to gently clean and scrub the diamond. To thoroughly clean away buildup and grime, move the brush in circles to reach into nooks and crannies. Take the utmost care to hold the diamond above the towel and away from the floor or sink
- Lay the diamond down safely on the soft towel, empty the bowl of water and replace it with clean water
- Rinse the loose diamond or jewelry items in the freshwater to remove all soap or solution
- Now use the second dry, clean towel to delicately polish the diamond dry
Before you jump right into cleaning your lab grown diamond, there are a few products you’ll want to be wary of using.
Cleaning Chemicals to Avoid
Before you reach for your go-to household cleaning products, keep in mind that many commercial cleaners have harsh chemicals that are dangerous to your lab grown diamond.
Specific cleaning chemicals you’ll want to avoid include:
Household cleaners that contain these ingredients can harm your diamond and dull its dazzle. If you need a stronger solution than what you’ve got in the cupboard, it’s best to buy a dedicated jewelry cleaner.
Regular Everyday Care
For long lasting shine, everyday care is the best thing you can do. This involves light cleaning, storing your diamond safely, and cleaning away debris and buildup on a daily basis. As you’ll notice: a little care goes a long way when it comes to your precious lab diamond jewelry.
Give Your Diamonds A Day Off
Depending on whether your lab grown diamonds are set in earrings, an engagement ring, necklace or all the above: give them a day off once in a while.
Heading out for a hike or to the gym? Leave these items at home. The same goes for swimming, house-cleaning (remember those harsh chemicals), or if you work with your hands. If you can’t part with your diamonds for a whole day, we don’t blame you! Instead, remove them when you wash the dishes, garden, clean the house, or do any heavy lifting.
Store Them In A Safe Spot
Learning how to store your lab grown diamonds is crucial for longterm care. The solution? An organized jewelry box that has a specific compartment for your diamonds. Compartments are important because they prevent loose items from rubbing against one another. While lab grown diamonds are extremely hard, they can still get chipped or fractured when stored improperly.
That’s why a compartmentalized jewelry box will keep them organized, safe and dust-free.
Clean at Least Twice a Month
Daily wear and tear lead to the buildup of oils and dirt. You’ll notice an accumulation of grime more frequently if you don’t regularly clean your diamond. How often you clean it depends on how often you wear it. A good rule of thumb is to clean your lab grown diamonds at least twice a month. Set a bi-weekly reminder on your phone to help you stay on top of routine maintenance. It’s also smart to take your ring in at least once a year for a deep cleaning.
Deep Cleaning for Everlasting Sparkle
Regular cleaning will keep your diamond shining bright. Yet over time, it’s natural to notice buildup and ultimately, less sparkle. The solution? A deep cleaning.
Deep cleans go the extra mile to inspect, clean and polish your diamond to be in showroom condition. When you purchase from 12FIFTEEN Diamonds, your purchase comes with a Manufacturing Defect Warranty: For the lifetime of your ring, if there is a manufacturing defect with your setting, we will repair or replace your ring free of charge. Lost stones will be replaced for just the cost of the replacement stone. Coverage also includes two Spa Days within 12 months, during which we will clean, polish and inspect your ring, as well as re-brighten your ring in rhodium, and tighten the prongs if needed.
The result is a dramatic improvement! Your lab grown diamond will have enhanced luster, sparkle, shine, and brilliance. Expect more heads turning your way after a deep cleaning.
There you have it! Ready for everlasting sparkle? Use these tips to keep your lab grown diamond clean, bright and sparkling for years to come.